Starfish Aquatics Institute
The Starfish Aquatics Institute and the American Safety & Health Institute have formed a collaborative partnership to become the premier resource for professional aquatic safety programs, lifeguard training, and related services. Comprised of a nationwide network of experienced aquatic professionals, the Starfish Aquatics Institute provides programs, training and service with the goal of Saving Lives One At A Time®.
The Wilderness StarGuard® trainings have been developed by Landmark Learning and endorsed by Starfish Aquatics Institute. Wilderness StarGuard® teaches participants how to evaluate site safety, screen the ability of swimmers, and improvise rescues using equipment most backcountry travelers are likely to carry with them. Traditional lifeguarding courses fulfill rescue and safety training for pools and other controlled settings where the water is clear and the bottom is even. However, in backcountry scenarios, water can be murky, bottoms uneven, and lifeguard skills for controlled setting may be inappropriate.
The Wilderness StarGuard® is a cutting edge course designed to meet the needs of wilderness trip leaders with a focus on prevention. This remote application to aquatic rescue courses can be taken alone as a primary training, as an add-on module to the StarGuard® course, or as a module for current lifeguards.
- Register for Wilderness StarGuard®
- Course Length: 16 hours (2 days)
- Prerequisites: 16 years of age, Current certification in WFA and Adult CPR at minimum (WFR preferred), Swim 100 yards, retrieve a submerged ten pound object, tread water for three minutes
- Recommended for: backcountry guides, canoe trip leaders, private expedition groups, college/university outdoor education programs, hiking club trip leaders, wilderness therapeutic programs, and adventure race safety personnel.
Wilderness StarGuard® Instructor Training
After satisfactory completion of the Wilderness StarGuard® program, participants can take this additional three-day training to become an Instructor candidate of the program. Apprenticeships follow, before the Instructor candidates are able to offer these programs on their own under the auspices of the Starfish Aquatics Institute. Contact our office for more information and updated course availability.
- Register for Wilderness StarGuard® Instructor Training
- Course Length: 24 hours (3 days)
- Prerequisites: Minimum twenty-one years of age, Successful completion of Wilderness StarGuard program, Current certification in Wilderness First Aid or higher and current certification in adult level CPR or higher (WFR preferred)
- Recommended for: backcountry guides, canoe trip leaders, camp counselors, private expedition groups, college/university outdoor education programs, hiking club trip leaders, wilderness therapeutic programs, and adventure race safety personnel.